3.20.2003



Songs for the Deaf



My media blackout has officially begun. From now on i will walk around with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears saying: lalala lala la la lalala lala la la one banana two banana three banana four... ok maybe not.

I saw yesterday that NCAA president Miles Brand, announcing the decision to play the tournament games, said "We will not allow a tyrant to determine how we live our lives." I could be wrong, but i think currently the tyrant has more important issues to consider than how far Dwayne Wade can take Marquette in the Tournament. Although, i could see Saddam Hussein being upset about Bobby Knight not receiving a bid and i hear Tariq Aziz is a Notre Dame fan.

Speaking of Tariq, he spoke to reporters yesterday amid rumors that he was planning to defect. I can imagine a despondent Tariq Aziz being prompted by Saddam Hussein to join him in singing theme songs from 1980's American sitcoms to cheer him up and strengthen his resolve.
For example, they might sing the theme from Growing Pains:

"Show me that smile again (Ooh show me that smile)
Don't waste another minute on your cryin'
We're nowhere near the end
The best is ready to begin
Ooh...
As long as we got each other
We can take anything that comes our way
Baby rain or shine...
All the time...
We got each other
Sharin' the laughter and love"

Or the theme from Family Ties:

"What would we do baby, without us?
What would we do baby, without us?
And there ain't no nothin' we can't love each other through
What would we do baby, without us?
Sha la la la."