3.06.2003



Donnie Darko



Whenever I see a movie or "cinematic object" either theatrically or home(ically), my entire life becomes about that movie until I see the next one. A couple of weeks ago I bought Donnie Darko on DVD which i had not seen and really didn't know much about, but I had heard it bandied about somewhere that it was worth a viewing and it was afterall $9.99 at Tower.

So now i am Donnie Darko. I have been for a couple of weeks. I went to read the Graham Greene story "The Destructors," which i had read in high school but had forgotten, because it's in the movie. I have now started reading Richard Adams' "Watership Down."
In the movie, Donnie is visited by a "six foot rabbit" who tells him the world is going to end. In one of the deleted scenes his english class is studying Watership Down.
This is not the sort of book i would ordinarily pick up to read. Typically, i read "serious" non-fiction, not novels about rabbits. I'm a little embarassed to carry it around.
At some point when i was a kid the movie version of Watership Down came on Tv. I had no idea what it was and i stopped to watch some cartoon rabbits when a gruesome fighting scene occurred. I had never seen cartoon animals fight and bleed and die and i was horrified.
So now i have returned to recover the trauma of my childhood. I need to go to the video store and get a new life.