1.06.2004



Prêt-á-Porter



Yes well, Happy New Year and so forth.

There are three important pieces of information I want to share with you:


  1. Anyone who dismisses polyester out of hand doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Polyester in the right quantity, on the right garment is a wonderful thing.

  2. iPods do not like sitting in a car for six hours when it is 5 degrees outside. (When did it suddenly become winter? Wasn't it 50 degrees last week? Oh well, let's go play in the snow!)

  3. Pakistan is our friend. Yes, our friend. And anyone who tells you differently is either a terrorist or Pakistani.
    Go, Pakistan.



I was in Marshall Field's this weekend and I noticed a lovely shirt hanging on a rack. I approached it, thinking that I might be inclined to acquire this object due to its irresistible aesthetic appeal.

I observed that it was made by Dolce & Gabbana. Well, let's have a look at the price tag, shall we... No! Oh my God, no! Avert your eyes children! Avert your eyes!

Now, keep in mind, this is just a shirt. It doesn't have microchips embedded in the fibers, nor does it generate its own electricity. It's a shirt: $335.00.

Now, let us suppose that I were a rich man. I might see a shirt that I covet, notice that it costs $335.00, and think "What the hell. My financial opulence is without boundaries, I'll buy it."
I suspect that I would come to feel that paying such a price is so unreasonable, regardless of the circumstance, that the fact that I had done so would be an indictment against me.

But a jury of my wealthy peers would never convict me.