1.29.2004



Hotel Illness



I don't take drugs.
Whenever I get sick, which is maybe once a year, I don't indulge in Nyquill induced slumber, or take other remedies to alleviate my symptoms. I consume copious amounts of tea, as I do normally anyway, and I trudge on. I was thinking of this tonight as I was driving home from work and for a moment considered the acquisition of that magical green syrup in order to facillitate a full night's sleep.

After I compose this message I will drift off to sleep only to wake abruptly at 5 or 6 am feeling miserable. This is how it's been for the last couple of days. Of course, I feel worse at the periphery of the day, which is, I believe, a common experience.

But, my condition fluctuates so strangely. Here's how I felt yesterday:

6:00 am: (suddenly awake) Miserable
10:00 am: (arrive at Gig 1) Murky yet Vibrant
12:00 pm: (still at Gig 1) Cold and Miserable
3:30 pm: (arrive at Gig 2) Not bad
4:00 pm: (pre-work meeting) "I can't do this"
5:00 pm: (in the mix, Gig 2) "Hey, never felt better!"
10:00 pm: (post-work meeting) "Hmm, I've got sniffles."
10:30 pm: (in the parking lot) "My God, I need drugs!"