11.23.2003



Varsity Blues



Hey kids, it's football dichotomy time:
Northwestern did not attempt a pass in the second half of their win over Illinois. Meanwhile, I saw about half a dozen highlight plays on the news from high school football games and not one of those highlights was of a running play: all passes and one St. Rita punt return. High school football looks really easy. I don't remember it being as easy when I was in High School as it looks to me now, so I might be wrong, but I think I could suit up against the kids and dominate.

I had my first non-familial passenger a couple of days ago, and my passenger inquired of me whether I liked football. The purpose of this inquiry it seems was to ascertain some concrete evidence of my masculinity, which was apparently dubious from his point of view. I hedged on my answer. I didn't think it was fair to give an unequivocal answer (and provide evidence to support it) given the context of the question. For one thing, it is not incumbent upon me to prove or defend what may or may not be my masculinity; I'm not even interested in the issue. And secondly, my attitude about football or sports in general is not indicative of any personal characteristic. The answer to such a question is therefore entirely uninformative.

Well, anyway I have to put in my Ghettobowl lineup for this week and I'll probably have some errands to run before the Bears game this afternoon, so I should get some sleep. See, I like football.