11.14.2003



I of the Mourning



The amount of time I spend listening to the radio is disproportianate for my generation. On a day like today, I could spend as many as eight hours with the radio on. I probably wouldn't watch Tv for more than a few minutes. (I hardly ever watch Tv anymore, mostly due to my schedule.) Sometimes I download installments of The Steve Dahl Show, which are archived the day after each broadcast, since I can't hear most of the show during the day. If I fall asleep while listening to the archive file late at night, I may wake up in the middle of a conversation topic or a nonsensical commercial. TNT has been running radio ads for their basketball broadcasts that ask such metaphysical basketball questions as: "Will Shaq regain his MVP form?" "Will Duncan and the Spurs continue to reign?" I don't see why I should painstakingly scrutinize the unfolding mystery of the NBA season when all the answers to these and many other quandries can be easily discovered by reading a newspaper eight months from now. I think that's what I'll do. I'll just read the sports page in June. I've just increased my productivity!

Tonight I'm attending a taping of Schadenfreude a local public radio sketch comedy show.
No seriously, it's a local public radio sketch comedy show.

Pro: Not having to work today

Con: Having your job owe you both a check and a vacation neither of which you have received

Pro: Not having to work today

Con: Having to use the word "having" ad absurdum