11.27.2003



Some Other Sucker's Parade



Parades are such a trifle, aren't they? What do they accomplish? But, according to someone who was deamed worthy of having a microphone placed in front of him, "the band kids are the unsung heroes of high school." Um, ok. I didn't know it was that serious.

And why is Medieval Times marching in the Chicago parade? It is a startlingly anachronistic sight, let me tell you.

I went to Medieval Times once on a school field trip. They give you these silly cardboard crowns to wear during the performance. I didn't want to wear mine, so I put it down next to me. I was sitting in a front row on the end right next to the aperture where the performers entered and exited the arena on horseback. At one point, one of the performers about to exit wielded his prop lance and used it to scoop up the cardboard crown I had placed beside me. He then flung it at me and snarled, "Put on your damn hat!" Um, I didn't know it was that serious. So I placed the crown on the other side of my seat, just to raise the degree of difficulty.