10.28.2003



I Don't Wanna Grow Up



I think I made a girl quit at work today. We'll see, maybe she'll come back. Too bad it wasn't the one I want to quit. I should learn to use my powers of occupational incompetence for good and not evil.

I went to Amazon.com and there was a letter from Jeff Bezos announcing that now amazon can be searched by words or content of a book. You'll notice, won't you, that all of my blog titles are authentic titles of songs, albums, books, movies, etc. that are intended to relate in some way to the blog topic. I often go to amazon and enter a search just to ruminate over a title to apply here. I entered a very general term: "birthday." Now instead of a few titles that I probably wouldn't use anyway, I get 32,000 results. I cannot, in any way, use 32,000 results. Thanks, Jeff Bezos.

As you can see I ultimately settled on the title of the classic Tom Waits song, which is topical because yesterday was my birthday. I was pleased that it transpired without hardly any mention or notice (until now), except for an unexpected email from an unlikely source and a drink with a colleague after work. We stopped at the bar of a Bennigan's of all places and I was offered a drink called a "lunchbox" with which I was, not surprisingly, unfamiliar. The barista was similarly befuddled, but accepted direction on assembling the drink. It's simply beer with orange juice and a shot (or double shot) of amaretto. It may not sound like a good idea, I was dubious myself, but it's actually quite a pleasant combination.

Denouement
Someone reflecting on his own condition said to me recently, "It doesn't pay to get old."
My response was, "Well, you only have two choices."
"What's that?," he said.
"You either grow old, or you die young," I replied.
I'm not sure which choice is better, actually.

"But, I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep..."