10.11.2003



Bandwagonesque



Hopefully, this will be the last time I mention the Cubs here, because I've grown weary of seeing that add for playoff tix at the top.

I am, fundamentally, a Sox fan. However, I harbor no animosity toward the Cubs. Essentially, when the Cubs win, I'm happy; when the Cubs lose, I'm still happy. Seeing the Cubs scrape their way into the playoffs in 1998 was as much fun for me as watching them go 0-14 to start the next season.

During the last couple of months of this baseball season, I began to fall out of touch with both teams. So now, here we are in the midst of this Cub playoff frenzy, and I cannot find it within myself to really care. I've tried, I just don't care.

I started following baseball in 1988, both the Sox and Cubs. I've been watching Cubs baseball for 15 years. I've paid my dues. But this really isn't the same Cub team whose fortunes or misfortunes I looked forward to at the beginning of the season and rooting for this team now makes me feel like a bandwagoneer (as so many others are). I wanted to root for Corey Patterson not Kenny Lofton, Hee Sop Choi not Randall "Sausage Killer" Simon. Does anyone even remember Mark Bellhorn?

Anyway the point is, I'm officially rooting against the Cubs, as futile an effort as that may be, because I don't want the Cubs to win the World Series while I'm not paying attention after having abdicated what should have been my seat on the bandwagon.

Also,
something has got to give. I've said this many times before, but now it's getting serious: this town ain't big enough for both Dick Pole and Dick Johnson.