7.26.2003



Failer



What I lack in style, I make up for in vanity. Which explains why, if you encounter me, I may well be attired in some unreasonably priced article of clothing.
I visited a Target store last Sunday which is for me, unlike the rest of human civilization, an unlikely event. I walked around the men's clothing section and saw modestly priced pants and shirts which I could certainly use to supplement my wardrobe-- I nearly made a purchase. But the reason I don't like to buy clothes at a place like Target is because once I get them home and put them on, I'll look at myself and wonder, "Don't I have anything better than this to wear?"

Tomorrow Bob Uecker will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Uecker once issued a "Play me or trade me" ultimatum to team management, which must have been a shock coming from one of the worst players to put on a Major League uniform. He also enjoys the notoriety of starring in one of the worst sitcoms ever to air on television. Congratulations! Failure is its own reward, I always say.