7.08.2009

I haven't been exposed to the media fixation with Michael Jackson since his death; I seem to turn on my television only for the purpose of watching The Simpsons or a baseball game.

But it has recently occurred to me that what I remember most about Michael Jackson is that he was really, really, really famous. I doubt that anyone born after Thriller or more specifically, his legendary performance on the Grammys can truly comprehend the cultural phenomenon that was Michael Jackson at the height of his popularity. I mean, people actually purchased and wore those crazy zipper jackets from the "Beat It" video. However, his incredible fame and subsequent infamy diverts our attention away from making the one indispensable judgment: namely, the impact and significance of his art.

To be frank, I haven't given much thought to this question. However, I can offer two examples that suggest Michael Jackson had an impact on music that persists. The following songs by contemporary artists undoubtedly owe something to his artistic legacy.

Example 1

Example 2