7.08.2004

On my way home last night, I was thinking about stopping for some fast food, which I probably wouldn't have done it if there hadn't been a frieght train in my path a block away from a White Castle. So I pulled into the White Castle "drive-thru" since my progress had been stopped anyway. (Why is it "drive-thru" not 'through"? Does 'through' not fit on the sign? Why is Wendy's open "late at nite" and not at 'night'? What's going on with this cutesy illiteracy?)

I made my order, pulled around and waited, and waited. Did I mention I waited. I was thouroughly engaged in the process of waiting. I did not look at the clock, but I waited so long I started to think it might be a heroic act to warn the cars pulling up behind me to get out and save themselves while they had the chance.

Some "drive-thrus" are constructed in a way that physically traps the vehicle into the queue, but this one provided an avenue of escape if I chose to take it. I had not yet paid, so there was nothing preventing me from simply leaving the "drive-thru" and resuming my life.

I believe the purpose of the "drive-thru" is to provide the customer with fast and convenient service. It is not simply intended for people who are too damn lazy to get out of their cars. In this way, White Castle had broken their contract with me. I no longer held any obligation toward the restaurant. But I did not leave.

So would I have been breaking some sort of social convention by getting out? Would I have suddenly veered out of line with social norms and onto a path of deviance?