7.21.2004

I thought John Kerry could use a little political advice. Here's the problem: what do you say about the situation in Iraq besides the war should not have happened? How do you articulate a policy going forward that is distinctly different from what is now taking place? I don't think you can. I don't think that, at this point, there is a reasonable alternative to the present situation.

So what do you say? Well, you say there aren't many good alternatives to the present situation which is difficult and dangerous, but the policies that led to this war could lead us again into another unnecessary and dangerous conflict. You come out against the policy of preemptive war and make it a central foreign policy issue.

And then I read this:

"Democratic candidate John Kerry said in Washington on Friday he would be willing to launch a preemptive strike against terrorists if he had adequate intelligence of a threat.
Kerry offered some support for one of the most controversial aspects of Bush's national security policy"


Well, so much for my advice. What is he going to say now, "If I had been President, I would have had better intelligence?"