5.14.2003



Reloaded



Here's the problem I have with The Matrix, aside from the Cartesian or Platonic (whichever you prefer) metaphysics: the issue of free will in an illusory world. Since the world of "The Matrix" is an immaterial realm, completely separate from the (to use a Kantian term) phenomenal realm, how can events in the former have consequence in the latter? Is Neo ever in danger when he's fighting holograms? Doesn't his knowledge of free will make him omnipotent inside the Matrix? I've only seen the movie once and a downloaded bootleg copy without even a temp. score at that, but these questions persistently mute the ability of the media to generate in me enthusiasm for the continuation of the trilogy.

And it is such a disappointment to see Zadie Smith's novel White Teeth turned into such a weak, hurried, unfunny television event on PBS check your local listings. I will say no more except that if I could have written a better adaptation (and I could have), couldn't someone (who unlike me, is actually a productive member of society) be enlisted to create a decent production from that book?