5.07.2003



A Man For All Seasons



Returning videos late is stupid. Last week I had to pay the exorbitant fine for having damn Gummo a day past its due, and right now i'm in possesion of The Powerpuff Girls Movie 12 hours beyond its deadline.

I began trying to make a list of every book i've ever read. A characteristically ambitious endeavor that is characteristically unlikely to ever be completed. I looked at the Harvard 100 Recommended Books; I've read around 15 of those I guess, and many of them are significant books, but still, they're just recommendations by people who work in a book store. "Barrel Fever" by David Sedaris is on that list; have I completely missed the literary magnitude of the David Sedaris canon? I may offer a partial list, or a list of the "most significant" (to me) books i've read.

Since the weather has been warm I can start listening consistently to my summer set of music. Some CD's I tend to listen to more during a particular season. For example I prefer to listen to Rufus Wainwright's debut album in late fall/early winter, but I listen to his second album Poses in spring/early summer. Some of this is just a memory cue referring to when I acquired the music, but partly it's in the themes or tone of the music itself. I can't listen to Poi Dog Pondering or Liquid Soul in the Winter, although as i'm thinking about it, probably everything is in play when the weather is warm, so there I go, i've just blown up my entire premise.