4.30.2003



Curb Your Enthusiasm



There are two young women I notice from time to time, in the course of my daily activities who stand out in a crowd of commuters. I always see them together; as far as i can recall, I have never seen one without the other. What so intrigues me about them is the manner in which they walk. It's not the form of the walk, although they move in lockstep, shoulder to shoulder with their arms bent at the elbows such that if you caught them in the corner of your vision you might conceive of them as walking arm in arm. It's not the pace, although they walk quickly, but not with the sense of urgency one typically identifies with the hurried commuter. It is that they move with a sense of anticipation. They walk as if something is going to happen or is already happening, perhaps just around the next corner, that they are anxious to get to: some novel experience, some new fun for which they must, for now, try to contain their excitement, but they can't quite conceal it. The staccatto rhythm of four spindly legs slicing through the air reveals a hint of some lighthearted mischief on the horizon. And as I stand and observe them as they saunter past, I wonder where they are going and what happens when they get there.