8.11.2008

I'm always slightly unnerved by the unabated jingoism that is unmasked, even encouraged, whenever the nations of the world gather to compete. A constant tab is kept of Olympic medals won by each country as if the total was in itself a judgment on the respective worth of the competing nations. (I noticed that South Korea briefly led the "medal count." Therefore South Korea is better than all other nations; or at least, was for a few hours.) Even more troubling are the lengths to which some governments will go to increase the number of medals won. The current host country, is particularly driven toward this end.

I am continually impressed with how efficiently the Chinese government administrates an overpopulated, economically progressive and geographically vast nation with authoritarianism. China is an exemplary model of order through political repression.

For all these reasons, I had intended to boycott the Olympics. However, ultimately, the allure of sports televised live in the middle of the night is too much for me to resist. Although I haven't been paying close attention to the glowing screen across the room, I find myself disappointed at the moment because coverage of swimming and gymnastics has recently concluded.