10.04.2005

During all the speculation about who would be nominated to the SCotUS when O'Connor decided to retire, someone really should have turned up John Roberts, who not only is dashingly handsome, but who had worked in the previous "original flavor" Bush administration. I mean, it would fit the pattern. But no one did and John Roberts appeared as a surprise. Either "an inspired choice" or a fortunate fluke.

So now, the question is:
Who is... Henry Jaglom.
No, wait. Who is Harriet Miers?

"I think it's important to bring somebody from outside the system, the judicial system, somebody that hasn't been on the bench and, therefore, there's not a lot of opinions for people to look at."

Ok. So you're saying you're just going to stand in front of the crease and try to slip one through the five hole, eh?

"And what I believe, and what I know is important, is that she doesn't change over the course of time. And had I thought she would change, I wouldn't put her on there."

Most people change over time, don't they? We learn. We grow.
Just look at David Souter.

I'm rather concerned about this one. At least with Roberts you could see how his mind works. Those memos from his tenure in the Justice Department turned out to be quite helpful in drawing out his legal epistemology. Maybe Harriet will be revealed to be J.R.'s aesthetically challenged and less credentialed legal doppleganger. But, I'm dubious. Who names their kid Harriet anyway?

Go Sox!