1.05.2005

The North Occidental Symposium debuts today. Of course, it was supposed to debut on Monday when I was supposed to come back from hiatus. Anyway, if you didn't get the email let me know, I'll add you to the group.

I was watching Nightly Business Report on PBS on Monday, and they made two glaring errors completely destroying any confidence I may have had in that program. During a report about how the S&P 500's performance in the month of January predicts with 90% accuracy the market's performance for the year, (which would be complete nonsense if it weren't for the reflexivity of the market. see: Soros: The Alchemy of Finance) the reporter mentioned that 2005 should be a good year because the market does well in the fifth year of every decade. I did have to count on my fingers, but I believe that this is the sixth year of the decade beginning with year 2000.

Then shockingly, their wacky "Hey Martha!" story at the end of the broadcast was a building attempting to celebrate the new year by displaying "2005" in lights. However someone must have been working late in the office that night because the lights displayed "3005" instead.
"Looks like someone added an extra century," the anchor quipped.

Hmm...no.