2.25.2009

I'm currently watching the streaming broadcast of the President's address to the Joint Session of Congress. What you miss on the network broadcasts, is all the pomp, circumstance, standing around, glad handing, milling about and half-hearted applause that accompanies the introduction and procession of people who are not the President.

I wonder if I'm the only person who watches the parade of Supreme Court Justices and passes judgement on each individually by saying, "fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, you're awesome, fuck you..." and so on.

Jesse Jackson Jr. is the Congressman for my district. I'm not really sure what J.J. Jr. does for a living, but his skill at finding a perching spot on the aisle within view of the cameras at every joint session, is something to be admired. And by admired, I mean scoffed at. Also, is it really necessary to kiss Hillary Clinton on the cheek simply because she, ostensibly, has a vagina? Wouldn't a handshake suffice?

As the President begins his speech, the camera is deftly focused to include Nancy Pelosi's bosom in the frame. What follows should not be a controversial statement: Nancy Pelosi is not a MILF.

Every day I am impressed by this president. Last night's speech was ambitious, yes. But it is ambitious in the service of pragmatism. He is ambitious because he understands what must be accomplished and has set out to do what needs to be done even though it runs counter to the inertial forces of our institutions. Frankly, he reminds me of me if I were president. I may not agree with all the technocratic details of every policy proposal, but I recognize that this president, unlike any other I can recall, has the vision to see the course correction we must take in order to continue to prosper as a nation.

Also, apparently, nobody messes with Joe.